The Tri-Regional Infant Hearing Program is a voluntary program funded by the Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services. Our goal is to identify permanent hearing loss in infants prior to 3 months of age and provide communication programming by 9 months of age. Early detection and intervention is critical to future language development.
The program provides:
- Hearing screening of all infants in hospital or in the family’s local community
- Audiology assessments of infants who receive a refer result from screening in order to rule out or identify a hearing loss
- Monitoring of infants who may be at risk for hearing loss
- Support to families of infants that have an identified hearing loss
- Communication programming for infants and toddlers who have permanent hearing loss including instruction in American Sign Language and Auditory Verbal Therapy or both
- Prescriptions for assistive devices, if required